By Jo Jarman (Sarina Russo Entrepreneurs Business Coach)
Being a stay at home parent sounds rewarding enough, but if you are anything like me, you may feel the need to have more ‘grown up’ activities and increase the house hold income.
I was a professional sales consultant in advertising and marketing when I had my children. I took the minimum time for maternity leave and went straight back to work after each pregnancy. It was only when my own mum was diagnosed with terminal cancer I took extended unpaid leave to be at home more. My two children were both under 2 years old when I had the idea to start an online business.
I chose an online business model to fit around my whole family and my commitments as both a mother and a daughter. My business was an online baby magazine; the first of it’s kind. This was free to my readers and was updated weekly. But how did you make any income if it was free, I hear you ask. I had a page dedicated to books, book of the week and ‘my top recommendations’, these books were linked to Amazon, at the time they were very prominent in the UK and only sold books back then too. All of the books I recommended or promoted had merchant links to Amazon, that meant that every time a reader left my site to view a book they picked up a tag (unseen by the reader and valid for a full 30 days). If and when the reader purchased a book or revisited Amazon (within the 30 days) and purchased a book or books, a percentage commission was paid to me automatically.
Over the years I have had several businesses and enjoyed the challenges that came with them.
My first business was a jewelry business. I was in my early 20’s studying at night school to become a silver smith. This was not were my career took me, but I am very a creative sole. During my time at night school I made many rings and necklaces, far too many to keep, so I sold them.
Less than four years later I found myself between jobs and in need of an income boost. I was looking for work, attending interviews with recruitment agencies and very quickly found I needed a fresh, hard-hitting, punchy resume. So, I wrote one, easy. I sent this in to several agencies and quickly received feedback on the high quality of my CV! “Wow, I thought, may be I should do this as a business”. I had not realised how resume writing for most people, was extremely taxing as a task. This was when 1st impressions CV services was born. I marketed a ‘Career Pack’, bundling together CV and Cover letter writing, interview techniques and presentation skills for one price.
My children are now grown ups and I have had three more business since then. I am, what you would call, an entrepreneur. My last business (before I became a Business Mentor) was offering Virtual Assistants to small businesses. I enjoyed this very much. I started this due to becoming a single mum in my 40’s and needing to make it alone.
If you are a little stuck for a business idea, I have created a little list for you to take a look at.
Business Ideas in Fashion & Beauty:
- How to Start Your Own Fashion Boutique
- Become a Makeup Artist
- Become a Hair Up-stylist
- How to Start Your Own Line of Beauty Products
- Start Your Own Organic Skin Care Line
- Import Kids Clothing and Start Your Own Kids Clothing Store
- Design and Sell Funny T-shirts
- Sew Your Own Style Baby Rompers
- Locate and Sell Retro and Vintage Clothing
- Become a Beauty Influencer
Food Related Business Ideas:
- How to Start a Cake Baking and Cake Decorating Business
- Home Cookery Business
- Bake Pies and Biscuits
- How to Start Your Own Online Cooking School
- Create and sell Online Meal Plans
- Cake Decorating Classes
- Start a Foodie Subscription Box
- Start a health and weight loss business
Craft & Sewing Based Business Ideas:
- Turn your hobby into a thriving home business!
- Start a Small Business Selling Jewelry Online
- Family History Researcher
- Start Your Own Line of Macramé Gifts or Designs
- Make and Sell Nappy Cakes and gifts for baby showers
- Make and Sell Gift Baskets
- How to Start Your Own Business Making and Selling Candles
- Make and Sell Your Own Line of Essential Oils
Computer Related Business Ideas:
- Web Content Writer
- Affiliate Marketing (Sell Other People’s Products for Commission)
- Transcription Services
- Write and Sell E-books
- Resume Writing Business
- Sell Images to Stock Images Websites
Seasonal Business Ideas:
- Make Money Becoming a Seasonal Holiday Decorator
- Wedding Organiser
- Professional Pet Sitter or walker
- Make Wedding Favours
- Packing Services
- Design Non-Floral Wedding Bouquets Become a party planner
- Be a Kid’s Party Entertainer
Buying and Selling Business Ideas:
- Buy, Swap and Sell second hand goods from op shops
- Grow and Sell Plants
- Locate and Sell Vintage Clothing
- Sell Products on Consignment
- Making and Selling Candles
Baby Related Home Business Ideas:
- Become a Home Day-care Provider
- Be a provider of day or night respite for tiered new parents
- Become a Swimming Instructor
- Become a Doula (assisting women in child birth)
- Create Educational Videos
- Start an online baby magazine
Not 100% sure you will be able to create a startup successfully?
We offer accredited small business training that can help turn your business idea into reality. Sarina Russo Entrepreneurs (SRE), in conjunction with The Self-Employment Assistance program (previously New Business Assistance with NEIS), enables Australians to set up and run their own small business. The Self-Employment Assistance is 100% Australian Government funded.
Sarina Russo Entrepreneurs (SRE) supports candidates as they complete BSB40320 Certificate IV in Entrepreneurship and New Business. During this, candidates create a comprehensive business plan and a two-year financial cash forecast. SRE Trainers provide meaningful mentoring for the first twelve months.
Eligible candidates receive the training and support to create a viable business plan, in addition to obtaining a Certificate IV in New Small Business.
For more information, please click here.