Disability Employment Services eligibility
ELIGIBILITY AT A GLANCE
You don’t need to have a permanent physical or intellectual disability to qualify for disability employment support. A “disability” can include an injury, illness, or any other physical or mental health condition that affects your ability to work.
Your eligibility for Disability Employment Services (DES) is generally determined by Services Australia (Centrelink). You’ll need to complete an Employment Services Assessment (ESAt) through Services Australia to assess your situation and if you meet the conditions for support.
To be eligible for Disability Employment Services you must:
- Have a medically diagnosed disability, injury, or health condition
- Receive an income support payment or disability support pension from Services Australia (Centrelink)
- Be at least 14 years and not yet at Age Pension qualifying age
- Be an Australian citizen or permanent resident
- Not be a full-time student (unless you are an eligible school leaver)
- Be assessed as having capacity to work at least 8 hours per week, but less than 30 hours per week
- Not currently be working at or above your assessed employment capacity
Once Centrelink have confirmed you are eligible, you will be referred to the Disability Employment Services provider of your choice, or be automatically referred to a provider close to your home.
If you’re not sure if you qualify and would like some help to confirm your eligibility, contact our team and we’ll be happy to help you out!